Friday, January 30, 2009

Bridal Showers & Ice Cubes

I'm not bitter. Just trying to bring some humor to the table. Promise. I just got home from my third Bridal Shower in three weeks. That's right. Three in three weeks. And they just keep coming. I love going, don't get me wrong. It's so fun to be with the happy bride-to-be and all the guests that are so happy she's happy. The happiness is contagious. It's just that sometimes, like tonight, when you're the ONLY one present that is not engaged or already married, you tend to feel a little singled out. Pun intended.

But what adds more to the frustration is when everyone wants to know who you're dating. I always smile and kindly reply "No one right now." Of course this just fuels their fire. They usually come back with something like "Well why not? You're so pretty and accomplished and..." You get the idea.

Then next comes my favorite part. The set-up. I've finally just given up and consented to go out with these guys they wanna set me up with. You know...their daughter's friend's uncle's cousin that's oh-so-handsome and lives in Nebraska. "But don't worry" they say, "He comes to visit California all the time." So, I say yes and that usually puts an end to that. And I'm not complaining. Honestly, I'm not. I'm grateful that people think highly enough of me to set me up with their daughter's friend's uncle's cousin. It's flattering. And I always say you never know!

Anyway, as the shower went on I slowly sipped my water until there was nothing but ice left in my cup. Meanwhile, the cake was being passed out and the presents continued to be opened, when suddenly I found myself chomping down on the cold cubes. Chomping. Some say that chewing ice cubes is a sign of sexual frustration, and I'm pretty sure the woman sitting next to me sensed it because as I took my last bite she whispered in my ear "Don't worry honey. He's out there somewhere. You're next. I can just feel it." I smiled and excused myself to fill my cup up with more ice cubes.

17 comments:

Hizzeather said...

Not to laugh at your frustration (especially because one of the showers you mention was for me), but I loves this post! It's just so real, and I can totally relate. Even though I'm getting married TOMORROW (freaking out here) It's still not real because I was single for SO LONG. I feel ya girl...I'm 29! But it will happen when it needs to happen, and I'm grateful that I got to have a life that I would never had if I'd have gotten married at 20 like my friends. Yes, I would be happy with 4 kids right now, but I'm also very happy that I got to serve a mission and live in lots of places and try lots of jobs and meet so many cool people.

Anyways, I just thought this post was beautifully written...you are a great writer! And I love that it's real and honest and that your blog has the great, the good, and the not-so good included.

5 Walls and Counting said...

Sister, I've got the most hilarious book that I'd love to send to you. It's yours for the taking if you want it. Let me know.
love ya,
Erin

Kim Messick said...

OK I admit it - I have a few tears in my eyes right now...don't get me wrong - I would love for you to be married to a wonderful man too, but I love having such a great daughter around me, who is so talented, spiritual, encouraging and just fun to be with anywhere...and I know your time will come and your true love will come along and sweep you away from me, but just keep enjoying the journey like you are, don't ever change who you are - you are AWESOME!
And you ARE having such great experiences to build your strength and character right now - so just keep smiling, going on fun dates, and chomping on ice cubes - it'll all be worth it!
I love you lots!

Emily said...

Girlfriend..I FEEL ya!!!! Haha. Usually I get the "Oh-I-feel-so-bad-for-that-you-are-still-single looks only when visiting my home ward. Thank goodness most of my girls are still single like us. :) Anyway, we're going to London and making lots of fun memories. I love it and can't wait for more with you!! I love your guts and your blog!!!

Madsen Family said...

I can't say I know how you feel, but I can say that I LOVE YOU! I know your day will come, and like I told you last weekend, I'm thinkin this is your year to fall in love :) Keep that smile that we all love!!!

charity said...

I love you! I'll be honest, I'm not missing the b-showers since most of my friends here are either married or have totally given up the hope. and I am a little jealous you are going to Europe!!

Unknown said...

Sometimes I feel guilty for getting married first, but now that we have little D, I just know that EVERYTHING is done on the Lord's timing. Also, don't forget, Dallen loves you more than any other man out there right now!! He wants to put his kisses all over your face, wet ones are all he gives right now so hope that's ok :) We all love you!

Mands Glenn said...

I love you GIRL! You are such an elegant, Real Writer. It's always so fun coming to your blog and finding something new almost everyday. You live LIFE and LOVE it. Keep it up! You will be changing diapers sooner than you know it and this is coming from a girl who served a missh, traveled, dated losers, went from job to job, college, waited and waited and then BOOM. . . he came and 6 months later I was married. It happens faster than you can think. LOVE YA!

Marcy said...

Aubrey, I just love your blog, your wit and the creativity you share with all of us!

You just keep on enjoying life the way you do and you'll get there... and soon enough (I promise) you'll be a wife and mother who doesn't get to sleep through the night and has to resort to putting on your calendar the days you allow yourself more time in the shower to shave your legs.

xo!

Michelle Michel said...

once again your blog has drawn me in! It's seriously one of my favorites to read! Well...this post was funny because I hate when people do those kinds of things...even when your married it doesn't stop...then they start inquiring about babies and "are you trying?" or "have you had success?" and if you haven't their reply is..."Well...it will happen soon! The Lord knows best" Let's be honest...it is by all means perfectly ok for a close friend to wonder about that...but not some lady I met when I was 10 and haven't seen for 14 years!

Michelle Michel said...

oh yeah...and just so you know...you have such a great life!! You know how to live it up!

Kristen Elizabeth said...

I told you that I stalked your blog and I hope it is okay! I think you are great! If you wrote a book I would totally read it! You are so lucky to experience the things that you are right now. These experiences will make you a better wife and mother one day!You are truly amazing! You are spiritual, smart, beautiful, kind, talented, stylish, fun, and so much more. Whoever ends up with you will be the luckiest man ever!

melissa said...

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! STORY OF MY LIFE AUBS! "oh but youre in grad school..... apparently youre focusing a lot on school right now.. maybe thats why youre not dating anyone".... AHHHHHHHHHH.

AMIT said...

Good post from you.

BPO work from home

Adrienne said...

I LOVE IT.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the club:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagophagia

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120165510390727145.html?mod=hps_us_pageone

Erica said...

why does this sound SO familiar?