Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Earthquake!

Where were you when the earthquake hit?


Tuesday morning at 11:42am the earth shook at a magnitude of 5.8 on the Richter scale. The seismic energy was centered in Chino Hills on the San Andreas Fault in southern California and boy did it scare the living daylights outta me! I was sitting at my thousand pound ALL GLASS table typing away on my computer when everything around me started to shiver! I was pretty much hysterical...kind of embarrassing, I know.

I've lived through tons of earthquakes to know what to do, but for some reason the minute the quake hit I forgot everything you're suppposed to do. My first thought took me back to grade school when they tell you to "duck and cover," but I certainly wasn't going to take cover under a thousand pound glass table. So my next thought was "Run to a doorway." Where? There are no doorways. I work in a flippin' wherehouse! Finally, my boss, who has never been in an earthquake before says "Run outside. Hurry!" My heart was racing. I ran after him, nearly in tears as we hurried out the door. Huge pieces of tile were shaking off our shelves and a few models dropped to the floor.

When we made it outside there were just a few seconds left to watch the windows shake and the earth finally come to a hault. My heart was still racing from the excitement as we joined the rest of our colleagues. We had a few moments of laughter as we reminisced about our frantic behavior only moments before and realized we better get back to work. Talk about an exciting day at the office!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny, honey! I was at a stand still in my car when my car started shaking like crazy - at first I thought someone hit me from behind, then I thought the idle on my car was too low and it was going to stall out or something...my LAST thought was, "Could that have been an earthquake?" I checked the clock so that when I heard the news I could confirm that indeed it was an earthquake. I like your story waaayyy better than mine - I hardly got to feel it! But I'm glad all is well at work and home.

Jessica Reeves said...

How scary! I'm glad that you are okay! I can't wait to see pics of your new place!

Karly said...

Haha. I love your story. I laughed out loud when I read that your boss told you to run! Out of everyone's earthquake stories from today yours is one of my favorites. Too funny.

charity said...

i was on the freeway and did not feel a thing. i feel so gypped.

emily said...

crazy!!! I'm so glad that you and the Gibby's are ok! My friend felt it in San Diego.

Ali B. said...

I was at work in Chino! I felt EVERYTHING!!! Just when I whough Chino couldn't get any scarier - it did!