Thursday, October 23, 2008

Spielberg Challenge

As part of the second round interview process for the Managerial position at the Laguna Design Center, I was invited to a come up with a design for Mr. Steven Spielberg's home office. The only information given was the room size and the location of the door and windows. The rest was up to me.

When I arrived at the showroom, I was given one item as my inspiration for the space; a deep chocolate colored rug with a large geometric print. I was told to choose furniture, fabrics, trims, and a wall covering to complement it. I quickly envisioned Mr. Spielberg sitting behind his desk, looking over his office, and then it came to me. Hollywood Chic. Something trendy, contemporary, and extremely lush. A gentleman's retreat. An inspirational headquarters. An Oscar winning design.

I went to work pulling fabrics, choosing furniture, and designing a layout. At the end of my thirty minute scurry I was pleased with my selections and turned in the final design. I have to wait a few weeks while all the other applicants go through the same process before I find out if I've made it to the third of FIVE rounds of interviews! Whether I get the job or not, I'm still grateful for the learning experience and can use it to build myself as a designer for the future homes I'll create.

7 comments:

Diane CaƱate said...

When I get a bit of money...you are so my go-to designer Aubs! So chic!

g.lock said...

how rad!

The Jessups said...

WOW, that sounds like a fun interview, and who knew interviews could be so much fun. Says a lot about what kind of job it is! Good luck with everything.

L said...

Oh my gosh, I wouldn't know where to start! You are amazing!

paintingyoupretty said...

That is SO SO SO cool Aubs!!!!!! I love it!! I am so proud of you. You are awesome! BTW, love the prop 8 support :)

Erica said...

awe right lady! this is awesome! good work and keep us posted!

emily said...

when you get the job....tell
Steve that Justin wants to work for him