Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Career Paths

As if I don't have enough on my plate already with this Interior Design business venture of mine, I've decided to see what jobs are hiring right now. This week I dusted off my portfolio, updated my resume, and put on my business suit for a few interviews in Laguna. They are totally different from anything I've done in the past but that's just part of the excitement!

JOB OPPORTUNITY #1:
The first interview was for a Floral Shop in downtown Laguna Beach. They're a new company and are trying to expand the events side of their mostly retail shop. If hired, I would work as an event planner/floral designer for weddings, corporate events, and any other kind of work I can find them. It's an exciting opportunity and something I've always wanted to get in to. Plus, I think I'd be good at it. Creating, designing, inventing, marketing, networking. Could be fun!

JOB OPPORTUNITY #2:
The second interview was for a position at a showroom in the Laguna Design Center as a Showroom Manager. It's a big title, and one I'm not sure I'm even worthy of. But I applied anyway. The showroom sells fabrics and furniture to the trade in addition to commissioning outside design jobs. I think it would be exciting to take on the responsibility and a great opportunity for growth. I'm just not so sure I could handle the stress of running an entire showroom.

I'm still tossing and turning about the two jobs. Maybe I'll just forget about them both and continue doing my own thing. After all, I love being my own boss!

8 comments:

Kasi French said...

I've been to that Design Center many o' times ... that's what happens when you live in the midst of a remodel!

The Jessups said...

Great opportunities! Both sound like they are up your alley. The floral shop one sounds awesome. I always wanted to be an event planner. Great opportunities!

Diane CaƱate said...

Way to go Aubrey! Doing new things is the best way to stay relevant!

Kim Messick said...

I hope you get ONE! And we can still do our own thing too! Good Luck!

Bracken and Bracken said...

You would be great at either one!! Good luck bird :)

Bracken and Bracken said...

Or you could always be a live-in Auntie. The pay is no good, but the benefits are priceless :)

Ryan, Karen, Owen, and Ava said...

Good luck with both of those! You are so talented. I've always love your creativity. Keep us posted.

Jenn said...

Sounds like fun! It would probably be fun to do something new. job 1 sounds like fun, but having interned as an event planner at Thanksgiving Point, just know that all events end up on holidays and weekends. It might put a damper on your free time, but on the other hand, it was so much fun creating all the events, especially weddings. Good Luck! I'm sure you'll be great at anything and enjoy whatever you do.